30 Years in 30 Weeks: 1982

In honor of the 30th anniversary Pan-Massachusetts Challenge, the PMC blog will take you on a ride through history. Today we continue 30 years in 30 weeks with a look back at the PMC in 1982. We’ll coast through the event’s history, featuring a new year each week, as we lead up to the 30th annual ride on Aug. 1 and 2.


Check out past 30 Years in 30 weeks posts here.


Send your PMC story to Stephanie@teakmedia.com


30 years in 30 weeks




By 1982, the PMC had doubled its volunteer team, creating a ratio of 3:1 riders to volunteers.


The number of volunteers led to a much more advance system of water stops and assistance for bikers along the route. There were four water stops on day one and three more on day two. The volunteer staff would bring card tables, folding chairs and serving equipment. They poured water hauled in from jugs from nearby spigots, and passed out bananas, oranges and energy drinks – all donated.


Barry Davis found out about the PMC through his local bike shop. Steve Lema saw a PMC poster at a Boston restaurant and decided to ride in honor of his mother who had recently died. His wife Karen Lema was compelled to volunteer: her mother and adopted mother both died of cancer. The Lemas and Davis became longtime PMC supporters.


“I had never been on Cape Cod, so I thought I would sign up,” Davis said of his inaugural ride. “The first 30 miles of the route I knew since I’d lived in Oxford all my life.”


Davis was often alone for miles along the route – a reoccurring theme in the early years of the PMC.


“My first PMC was a wonderful cycling experience,” Davis said. “Nothing went wrong, I enjoyed myself immensely and was hooked.”


Riders walked over the Sagamore Bridge kicking off day 2 of the ride, Davis recalled.


“Day two was interesting,” Davis said. “I was able to hook up with a group of riders that rode in 1981 and knew the route. We took our time and enjoyed the scenery. I stayed with this group of riders the whole way and got to Provincetown just before noon. When 2:30 came, those returning on the ferry rode their bikes thru downtown P-town yelling P-M-C the whole way.”


At the end of the ride, PMC volunteers welcomed riders, directed them to food and made sure every rider was accounted for. It was first time the PMC had a Provincetown registration system in place.


Here’s a photo courtesy of Barry Davis, taken by a reporter from the Webster Times in 1982:


Mike Labonte, Mark Mackenzie, Mike Brown and Barry Davis in 1982.

Mike Labonte, Mark Mackenzie, Mike Brown and Barry Davis in 1982.





PMC 1982 Facts

Event Date: Sept. 11 and 12

246 riders

75 volunteers

$350 fundraising minimum for two-day ride

$60,000 raised

184 miles


Leave a comment

Filed under 30 Years in 30 Weeks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s